e enjte, 14 qershor 2007

Romantic Analogies

Okay, imagine a situation where you listen to say, a song. Clarity, for example (I know it's terribly predictable of me to use a John Mayer song, but Linda Goodman does stereotype me as being predictable in an unpredictable sort of way, so I think I ought to be forgiven that cliché). So to some, in theory, that song has absolutely nothing to do with romance in the literal sense, certainly not in the positive sense, because it's about a relationship being over. To me, however, it's a really strong sentiment, because even though the relationship is over, the feeling is at the point where it's almost overwhelming, because it's real, you know.

I like to think that a good number of people fall into this category of hopeless romantics that I belong to. To people like us, there is romance in everything. And so it is in the end of a relationship. And who knows, maybe there is romance without there being any sort of relationship... or even any interaction at all. Maybe, maybe, there is romance in tea leaves, and crumpled up pieces of paper, paan stains on a wall, or even a guitar with two broken strings. I know it sounds borderline absurd, but really, who decided these things for us?

We're all victims to this, you know. Us hopeless romantics more so than others. If someone ever asked me what my idea of a perfect romantic anything would be, the picture would almost certainly involve a beach and roses. I went out with a guy once who asked me what my favourite flower was, and I said I loved roses. And he said, psh, that's so cliché. You might even say I'm contradicting myself with this whole cliché-non-cliché thing, but that was just to make a point. None of us can really escape it.

I often find myself in a moral dilemma of sorts over these romantic clichés. I mean, upfront I'm all 'women-power, we can open our own doors, thank you' but deep down (sometimes), I think I need to be taken care of by someone. Not that I can't take care of myself. See what I mean? It's all painfully confusing. And then I think maybe it's going to be like this all my life. And maybe it's so because I won't find that perfect romance or whatever, because it either won't be enough, or it'll be too much, 'Claustrophobic' you might even say. Do you see that happening? To you, I mean. Do you think you're content with one idea about anything? Because there's classic, that has always been, and there's contemporary liberal, which is quite clearly the right way to grow. And it's not just these romantic things, it's for all sorts of other situations, of course. I just find it easier to analyse in this scenario, with most of the dramas in my life owing themselves to my romantic history (or lack thereof) and everything. I mean, what's the point of living in the 21st century while still having your thinking being tied down by ancient clichés?

The mind boggles.

Nuk ka komente: